Wednesday 22 September 2010

Bread From My Husband.

Well, yesterday was our 8 year anniversary.  One of the things I most appreciate about my husband is that he cooks wonderful things for us.
His favourite is to bake bread.  Lately he has been using this book.  


He loves this book and can be found sitting reading it at all times of day.
This morning I came down into the kitchen and found this waiting for me - 



It tastes great.  The kids and I have just had some as part of a ploughman's lunch.  I think I'll toast some later to have with scrambled eggs for tea.  Nice to have simple fare to go with freshly baked home-made bread.

At the weekend he made brioche.  He made the dough on the Saturday night and he baked half of it then.  We both devoured it completely straight out of the oven.  He then baked the rest of it in the morning for our breakfast.



And, as I mentioned in a previous post, he made pain au chocolate the weekend before.



He has been a little disappointed with the dried yeast recently so he ordered some fresh yeast from an online shop.  The bread we had today was the first batch he made with the fresh yeast and I think he's much happier with it.  



It's a shame that he doesn't have as much time as he would like to cook and bake for us.  I only work two days per week and the rest of the time I am the "housewife".  I'm sure if Steve were the "housewife" we would probably eat much better.  Certainly, our house would be tidier!

2 comments:

  1. Firstly Happy belated Wedding Anniversary to you both.

    Secondly, what a wonderful man. To bake from scratch is truly a lovely and loving thing to do for your loved ones. The closest I ever get to good bread is from our breadmaking machine. So truly admire these edible gifts from your husband for his family.

    Lastly, question about the fresh yeast. I have struggled to find fresh yeast. The last time I found some when in Edinburgh from Valvona and Crolla. Surprised to learn you could buy it on-line. If you don't mind me asking 'How long will it last?' Not that i'm gonna attempt baking from scatch - I'm just interested if I ever did take it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. What a nice thing to say - I will pass that on to him.
    The fresh yeast seems to last about 4 weeks. It arrived the other day and has a BB date of 19th Oct. You can also freeze it to make it last a bit longer too.
    This is where we got the yeast from if anyone is interested - www.thebertinetkitchen.com.

    I hadn't watched The Great British Bake Off but have just started watching the series on iPlayer. I can't imagine why I didn't see this when it was on - I'm loving it. We have just watched the bread one and it has inspired me to try something out of Steve's bread book the next time we have a baking night.

    ReplyDelete