Monday 29 November 2010

Cauliflower Cheese Soup.


The cold weather needs hot, comforting soup, doesn't it?

Well, this month I got Jamie's Ministry Of Food out of the library.  I seem to have missed the whole TV series and campaign.  I quite like the book - lots of different variations on easy dishes. As you will see below, the recipes are very clear and suitable for complete beginners so this would be a great book for a student leaving home for the first time or other beginner. 

So, cauliflower cheese soup - yum.

Recipe - 
Serves 6-8.

Ingredients - 
2 carrots
2 sticks of celery
2 medium onions
2 cloves garlic
800g cauliflower
olive oil
200g cheddar cheese
2 veg stock cubes
salt and pepper
1 tsp English mustard
Nutmeg

Method - 
1. Peel and roughly slice the carrots.
2. Slice the celery.
3. Peel and roughly chop the onions.
4. Cut cauliflower into 1.5cm slices.
5. Put a large pan on a medium heat and add 2tbsp olive oil.
6. Add all your chopped and sliced ingredients and mix together with a wooden spoon.
7. Cook for around 10 mins with the lid askew, until the carrots have softened but are still holding their shape, and the onion is lightly golden.
8. Grate the cheddar into a bowl and put aside.
9. Put the stock cubes into a jug and pour in 1.8L of boiling water.  Stir until the stock cubes are dissolved, then add to the vegetables.
10. Give the soup a good stir then bring to the boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 mins with the lid on.
11. Remove the pan from the heat.  Season with salt and pepper and add the cheese and mustard.  Using a hand blender or liquidiser, pulse the soup until silky smooth.
12. Divide between your serving bowls and grate over some nutmeg.
13. Lovely topped with crispy bacon.


4 comments:

  1. I have the book but haven't tried this out yet. I didn't buy the book for ages as it was aimed at beginners but I couldn't recommend it enough. It is full of recipes I actually want to eat for dinner, the curries are brilliant.

    I could really do with some of your delicious soup right now. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love cauliflower cheese soup. Yours looks so good with the crispy bacon on top. Lovely pic. When I make cauliflower cheese there is always too much for the two of us and I turn the left overs into soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect - Have you cooked from the book a lot? The curries do indeed look very good. Will need to try one of those next.

    Granny - Thanks. Good idea for leftover cauli cheese. I have never had this as a soup before. I think I prefer the real thing, though, but I guess the kids wouldn't eat as much of it as they do when it is in soup form!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds just right for this weather.

    Love the bacon on top - great combination.

    ReplyDelete