Tuesday 14 December 2010

Breakfast Idea Number 4 - Daring Cooks - Poached Eggs.



I am loving doing my challenges.  The Daring Kitchen is one of the most popular challenges for either cooks or bakers.  And, in fact, Shelley of C Mom Cook has included a couple of pictures of my boys in her latest Food Talk article on getting wee ones to help in the kitchen.


Jenn and Jill have challenged The Daring Cooks to learn to perfect the technique of poaching an egg. They chose Eggs Benedict recipe from Alton Brown, Oeufs en Meurette from Cooking with Wine by Anne Willan, and Homemade Sundried Tomato & Pine Nut Seitan Sausages (poached) courtesy of Trudy of Veggie num num.

I chose to do a version of eggs florentine for this challenge and was really chuffed at how easy it actually is to make a Hollandaise sauce and to poach fairly good looking eggs.  Usually I leave this dish to Steve to make but I guess I have no excuse for doing it myself now.  I LOVE spinach and this makes one of my favourite breakfasts.





Two eggs each for Mummy and Daddy and one each for the kids.  I will definitely be poaching more eggs from now on.  And without using the microwave and the plastic poacher thingy!

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful eggs florentine!! Glad you enjoyed the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenn. I loved it. A challenge but also something fairly straight forward and a skill I am likely to use over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job - and I hope your boys loved their special breakfast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful work and the poached eggs looks perfect lovely work on this challenge and it is good to know that kids liked them so much.

    Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect! My hubby would love this, mine never, never look that perfect. It may only be a poached egg but I'm seriously impressed. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shameful admission: growing up, my mum always used the plastic microwave thingy and I never even knew that wasn't the way to poach eggs until I left home...

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look wonderful! I made this too, and could do it all over again, looking at this!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Eggs Benedict look superb! The spinach sounds like a great addition, too. Wonderful job with this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favourite breakfast of all time - yours looks just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a lot of successful eggs! Well done! We just can't get them pretty - a skill you have clearly got the hang of.

    Stay JOLLY!
    D&S

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done. Poaching eggs is such a great skill to have and I'm glad I learned how to do it too. And I recently learned how to make Hollandaise sauce too and found it not that difficult.

    ReplyDelete