Sunday 14 August 2011

The Daring Cooks' Challenge No. 9 - August - Appam and Curry.



Mary, who writes the delicious blog, Mary Mary Culinary was our August Daring Cooks' host.  Mary chose to show us how delicious South Indian cuisine is.  She challenged us to make appam and another South Indian/Sri Lankan dish to go with the warm flat bread.



Appam is a type of bread similar to a crepe made from a fermented rice batter and usually served with a curry.  Now, I didn't master this (because I left trying it to the day the challenge was supposed to be posted) but although my appam didn't look quite right, I really loved the taste of it and felt it was a refreshing accompaniment to a curry.  I chose to make Mary's Chemeen Pappas (a prawn and coconut milk curry).  The whole family loved this mild but tasty curry and I will certainly make this again.  Probably next time I try to make appam.  I'm going to get it looking beautiful next time.  I do know where I can make improvements.  I don't think I blended the rice enough and I also think my batter that I left fermenting was too thick.



Really enjoyed the challenge of making something quite different again.
I did spend a few hours of the weekend doing this, though, and I am finding that with trying to do all the challenges I am spending too long trying to fit them in when we should really be spending the weekends as a family.  So, this will probably be my last Daring Cooks Challenge and I will probably bow out of the Daring Bakers too.  Might be able to go back to them later when the kids are a bit older and I have a bit more time to myself.



Recipes - here.



12 comments:

  1. First things first, your appam and curry look wonderful, and I am so glad that they were a hit with the family! Next, though, I am sad, though completely understand that you will take a break from the Daring Kitchen - you bring so much to the community and you will be missed. That being said, it makes perfect sense and I totally respect the decision. And will continue to read your blog all the time and comment like usual. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never hear of appam, but I think yours looks lovely. Good for you for taking on the challenge and conquering it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your curry looks so delicious, I love prawns! And your appam looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your curry looks divine! So sorry to hear that you're leaving the DK, but I totally understand you. You will be very welcome back any time. In the meantime, I'll be looking forward to your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this would be perfect for my breakfast today!! need a little heat!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, the shrimp curry looks delicious! It sounds like we both had the same issues with the appam, but yours look so much better than mine! Good luck with your next batch. I'm sure they'll be gorgeous.

    Sorry to hear you'll be leaving the DK, but it's totally understandable. I often find myself struggling to fit the challenges in, and that's without kids. I just looked at your ABOUT page, and it's not hard to see why you would want to spend as much time as possible your family. Your boys are gorgeous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, appam sounds like an adventure! I want to try that out, but I always hesitate to tackle the bread projects that require so much waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the pictures of the assembled ingredients! And fab looking appams.
    Sorry to hear you're calling it a day for the DK& DB, but ultimately it has to be fun, not stressful, and fit in around your family, not the other way! I'm sure you'll still have plenty of culinary adventures without it... And hopefully still find time to post about some of them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your appam looks just fine! And wasn't that shrimp dish yummy? Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Everyone for wonderful comments. Sorry for not replying individually - normal service will be resumed...sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look what I just read (http://ieatishootipost.sg/2011/10/heavens-indian-curry-manna-from-heaven.html?spref=fb). I kept thinking "where have I read about appam before? Wracking my brains..." And guess what? Ghim Moh is my nearest hawker centre! I can't wait to go and try some appam!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh - let me know what they are like. My ones were very tasty but just couldn't get them quite right. Maybe because I didn't have a cast-iron mini wok from India. Yes, I'm sure that was the problem.

    ReplyDelete