Thursday 27 October 2011

Mint Chutney - RR 9, Part 2

This is Steve's post for Random Recipes this month. Steve was randomly paired with the very lovely C from Cakes, Crumbs and Cooking (check out all her recent recipes for chocolate week!).  She chose number 44 out of our 53 cookbooks which was The New Penguin Cookery Book by Jill Norman.  She then chose page number 383 which gave a recipe for a mint chutney.  Am I allowed to say that C has 191 cookbooks?  Wow!



Okay, here's Steve's bit -
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Indian-Spiced Lamburgers with a Mint Chutney (Serves 4)

Recipe for the Lamburgers (from The River Cottage Meat Book)

500g of minced lamb
2 small dried red chillies (possibly too many for the kids…)
1 teaspoon of coriander seeds
½ teaspoon of fenugreek seeds
½ teaspoon of mustard seeds
½ teaspoon of black peppercorns
1 tablespoon of olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
salt

Split the chillies open and remove and discard the seeds. Place in a pestle and mortar with the other dry spices and pound to a coarse powder.

Put the lamb in a bowl and mix with the oil and garlic, massaging it well so that is covered with a light film of oil. Toss thoroughly with the pounded spices and then leave to marinate for at least 2 hours.

Form into patties 2cm thick and barbecue (or fry – I fried) for 4-5 minutes on either side, till nicely browned and cooked through.

Recipe for the Mint Chutney (from The New Penguin Cookery Book)

1 handful of mint leaves
1-2 green chillies, seeded and finely chopped
½ tsp of sugar
salt to taste
5tbs of plain yoghurt

Blend the mint, chillies, sugar and salt to a paste in a food processor or pound them in a mortar. Blend in the yoghurt.

I got a bit lucky with this challenge as the random recipe chosen for me was the mint chutney which was basically “bung everything in a food processor”. I thought the chutney on its own would have made a great lunch but Louise overruled me and I had to do an accompaniment for the chutney, hence the lamburgers.


I should perhaps have worked this out in advance but I overdid the chillies in both recipes, with the result that it was all a bit too hot for our two kids, no matter how much extra yoghurt I ploughed into the chutney. If I was to make it again, I would probably leave the chillies out of the chutney altogether and let it be a more cooling accompaniment to the lamburgers.


10 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious. I haven't had lamb burgers in a long time, but I like making them with dried mint and then serving with feta and red onion slices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lamb burgers on toasted potato rolls. These sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one Steve - I'm glad Lou didn't let you off with just the chutney!!!!

    Pity about the high chilli content - all the more for the adults though!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah - I do like the idea of these with feta and red onion - a more summery option for the BBQ!

    Manu - :-) I'll pass that on to him.

    FBMKW - potato rolls? Are they the like out tattie scones?

    BVG - I must say that the chilli was fine for me - they were very tasty. And thanks for backing me up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh nice one Steve. Great to have a garnish dish like this to have in your repertoire. You're a lucky bugger to get something so simple but I guess those are the breaks of a random recipe. Thanks for taking part.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great to me! Not sure I'll get my recipe done this month though.... really sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh don't worry. That's the great thing about Dom's challenge - no pressure - not taken too seriously, no 'rules'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What a fun idea - can anybody join in? I am always seeking out new recipes and tend to rely on latest TV programmes for inspiration - yet I have a cupboard full of recipe books! Weh hey! Off to investigate.
    Denise (via yorkshire life)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Denise, Dom will make you really welcome at Random Recipes. The next one will probably be posted sometime in the next few days. Will be fab to have you join in!

    ReplyDelete