Sunday 25 March 2012

Spelt Rough Puff Pastry.



It has been a beautiful day here today.  We got a huge amount done in the garden and it's looking great for the new season.  We also had our tea out in the garden for the first time this year.
And I had a cracker of a recipe for the meal.

For Short and Tweet, I made Dan Lepard's spelt rough puff pastry and I made it into chorizo and tomato tarts.  Dan gives a few ideas for really stunning sounding tarts in his book.  I will try to make more of them especially as the pastry was such a success.



How lovely to have a bit of extra flavour and goodness from the spelt flour.  I really wasn't expecting to be able to make a successful puff pastry so easily.  There is a bit of rolling and folding but I just let the pastry rest in the fridge each time and got on with whatever else I was doing so, in the end, it really felt I had done virtually nothing.  The pastry puffed up brilliantly.  Just as good as the ready-made stuff.  The taste, however, was far better.



The recipes for both the pastry and the tart are in Short and Sweet by Dan Lepard.  I can't find this recipe on the Guardian website but if others from Short and Tweet find it and link to it, I'll let you know.  Otherwise, buy the book.  

12 comments:

  1. I love splet pastry...it's so country chic ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha - I'm going to be using that phrase all the time now - brilliant. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to see you enjoying the recipe so much & in such a pleasant al fresco fashion. You've got some nice flaky layers in your picture.

    I think this recipe is one of those things where, once you've done it, you end up scratching your head and thinking, "Why did I think I couldn't do this? Why was I ever buying this when my own is so much better?". (Leaving aside the issues of being time-crunched for now. :) )

    Well done and I look forward to including this in the compilation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you enjoyed making it. The last time I made puff pastry was at school, so brownie points to you. I really must buy this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fantastic. I love the idea of a puff pastry that is a bit healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds great - adding country chic to the stylish suburbs through the medium of spelt - HFW would thoroughly approve ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wasn't the weather yesterday just fantastic! Hopefully that's not all the summer we're going to be getting... This looks delicious, and I love the idea of spelt flour in the pastry. I've yet to brave rough puff (or any puff pastry for that matter) - it's on my 2012 to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've borrowed your al fresco chorizo delight for Short and Tweet 21: the rough puff pastry compilation. The spelt is only present in small quantities but it adds a certain nuttiness to the pastry which is very welcome.

    I, too, am a fan of the notion of this as country chic.

    Thank you for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello

    Good Day, i have been trying to create a nice blog post
    and i saw yours and i found it very interesting keep up
    the good work i'll be back for more

    Kathy
    www.healthandwellnessconsultants.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Once you have made your own buying it isn't the same!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never had a go at making puff pastry in my life, so I admire your fab results. I will have to have a go myself one of these days, and maybe with spelt flour too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. even famous chefs just use storebought puff pastry, I'm amazed you made your own and that really does look gorgeous! nwo i know it works with spelt which is much more tolerable than wheat, I might try to track down the recipe and give it a go myself(:

    ReplyDelete